Thursday, October 16, 2008

Yun Hi Jee Lenge

This piece by Sahir Ludhianvi truly touched my heart....

Isko hi jeena kehte hain toh yun hi jee lenge,
Uff na karenge, lab see lenge, aansoo pee lenge;

Gam se ab ghabrana kaisa, gam sou baar mila,
Hum ne toh jab maangi kaliyan, kaanton ka haar mila.


For the benefit of those who might need it, here's a crude translation:

"If this is what they call living, I'll live it this way;
I won't moan, I'll stitch my lips, I'll drink my tears;
What's there to be afraid of sorrows now when I've got them a hundred times;
So much that when I requested for flowers, I got a garland of thorns."

Film: Pyaasa (1957)
Singer: Hemant Kumar
Lyrics: Sahir Ludhianvi
Music: SD Burman
Song: Jaane Woh Kaise Log The Jinke
...

10 comments:

sri said...

Hey! This is full of negative energy...

Rakesh Misra said...

@ Sri: Well yes, it is. But read the first two lines again and again, and you'll feel the determination of that person to live through his life, inspite of all the sorrows in life.

Rahul said...

Well, this 'inner tunes' thingy marks mishre's official entry into the blogosphere. Has the end of shaastra given truckloads of free time? Then I suggest you pursue more intellectual stuff - for eg, you could do some of my D slot assignments of my A slot term paper .. what say?

Rakesh Misra said...

@ Rahul: This blog came up partly due to my vettiness after Shaastra and partly due to the desire to pour out my untold feelings.

As far as your D slot is concerned, if you come to know about the volume of mugging we need to do for our B slot, you would probably leave behind all your D slot assignments and come to help us in our mugging, out of sheer pity on us. :)

Unknown said...

it seems that , after all the trouble and many problems the person is having the energy to carry on..so all should have strong determination.

Rakesh Misra said...

@ Pradeep: You're right! If you see this movie (Pyaasa <1957>), you'll know that the protagonist is a struggler and is infinetely pained by the indifferent, uncaring nature of the society. His lover has deserted him for a rich one, just for the sake of money. The genius, Sahir Ludhianvi, has magically penned down just the right words that touch just about everyone's heart. Hats off to him!

Anonymous said...

Where do you find such amazing lyrics these days. yes we do but very rarely...all i can think of is 'kaanta laga' and 'tera suroor' :P

Rakesh Misra said...

@ strawberrymargaritas: The songs of yesteryears used to have more meaningful lyrics. But today, unfortunately, commercialization has taken over; you have to write lyrics that could be "sold" in the market.

If you desire to find more of such amazing lyrics, start browsing the oldie songs. I've a wonderful oldie goldie collection; I can share, if you wish!

Leela said...

That's one of my favourite lines as well. It makes a lot of sense in very simple words.

Rakesh Misra said...

Oh yes, it truly does!