Sunday, April 12, 2009

Wingmates of Fire


It was a historic event! Atleast for me. For the very first time in three years, my entire wing went out together for a treat!

Yes, all 26 of the 31 of us who were present then in the institute came along, inspite of some of them having some more important commitments elsewhere in the institute. Three Branch Councillors in my wing had a Placements Meeting going on at the same time. Four others had extra classes during the same hours. Another had already fixed a lunch commitment. But nobody could say 'No' to this idea of a full-wing treat. Every single person ensured his presence. Even people like Kunhi, Sufu and Dhawal, who generally do not wake up before noon on holidays, were up and ready in time. Wonderful wing-spirit!

Just the fact that the entire wing was out together had given me such inexplicable satisfaction that I wasn't thinking too much about the food. But the food turned out to be equally satisfaying! The Gujurati-Rajasthani thali at Rangoli was finger-licking good. The Dhoklas and Kachaudis were so delicious that Arjun made a meal just out of them. The Srikhand truly tasted like a piece of divinity. Rotli, Bateta nu Shaak, Ghooghra, Daal Baati, Chana and Ghevar were simply awesome. There were so many other things as well, not to forget the paan at the end. As someone reminisced, "I did not know the names of more than half the things on the thali, but I sure did know that all of them tasted great! "



I would like to make a special mention of my friend, Mukunda, the only non-Gangaster who was specially invited for the treat (that made it 27 treat-goers altogether). He touched everyone's heart when he declared, "I'm a pseudo-Gangaster da! I'm one among you only!" Yes, you're right. Afterall, Ganga is your "hostel-away-from-hostel", isn't it? Welcome!



Some unforgettable moments of the day:









A big note of thanks to all my wingmates for making themselves available for the treat. We have set a trend; now we'll see many other "full-wing treats" (FuWiTs) happening in future.
My heartfelt thanks to my co-sponsors - Hippo, Baba, Parabola, N2O, Sufu, Gunda and Tile. We played a small part in making history happen!
All of us missed the 5 who couldn't make it to the treat - Harish, Vignesh, Rituraj, Achal and Jay. It would have been great had you people been here on that day; nevertheless, be prepared for the future FuWiTs! :)
And Sriram, all of us miss your presence in the wing!

A couple of original video-clips: | Video 1 | Video 2 | The clips have been intentionally left unedited so that the background prompts and comments are heard clearly. Real fun they are, check them out!

Another account of this treat is here, the debut blog-article of my friend, Shankar. Welcome to blogging!

To all my wingmates, I must bow. What wonderful times we have had together so far ! We have been living together, dancing together (Oh no! :) ), 'mugging' together and enjoying life together. I miss those days in the first semester when all of us would be mugging together for the same courses. I still remember the last year's inter-wing tug-of-war when all of us turned out for the sake of our wing. I cannot forget my last birthday when you contributed together and gifted me a birthday present. What a touching moment that was! You all have inspired me, guided me, encouraged me and stayed by me during my low-points in life. You, truly, are my wingmates of fire!

By the way, I'll remember forever the way the entire wing returned back after the treat. As all of us walked together on the pathway connecting the front and rear wings, shouting "Go 5th wing" at the top of our voices, I felt like a king, like being on top of the world! Goose-bump moment that was, seriously!



I'll leave you with a loving recollection of some of our past times!



28 comments:

Unknown said...

lovely article.... It surely was a treat to remember.... your way to express it made it even more charming

mukunda said...

Thank you Rakesh for formally welcoming me to the elite gangsters group,should i say :P .in fact i have been an frequent visitor to ganga lately mostly for "mugging" and quiet recently for playing cricket too :)..i have had a lot more fun with you guys than even with my hostel junta, ganga is truly a hostel-away-from-hostel :P( i live in saras btw )

The treat was really a memorable one with 27 people on board..the biggest treat ever i have been a part of, and the food was awesome too (we had 4 servings of the starters itself!!) and the main course was delicious too.. i wish the servers had not kept us waiting for so long in between servings which pissed off a few guys , but over all we had great fun and all thanks to the guys who pain the bills(i dunno who did :) )...

a special mention to Rahule's favourite quote by a teacher. sannasi raj while explaining the cavity wall in the ID110 lect." there is a front there is a wall,there is a back there is a wall, there is a middle there is a cavity,that is a cavity wall" u shld hae heard him say it,lol maxx..

Unknown said...

nice article man.......beautifully expressed.......

Rakesh Misra said...

@ Shanky: Thanks! (@ Others: Shanky has debuted into the blogging community recently. Here is his blog)

@ Mukunda: It's a privilege having you with us! And ya, that Rahule's quote is lolmax! :D

@ Shankar: You are one of my blog's very regular visitors. Comments from people like you motivate me to keep coming up with more and more articles. Keep it up!

GuDMaN said...

wonderful article macha,If iam not wrong dis is ur 3rd article on ur frnds it shows how much u care n love dem. its very rare 2 find people giving so much imp to human relations. It has been really fun reading ur blogs. thanx for dat.

Kushal said...

FWTs are surely great fun. Most of the treats that we used to have in Tapti (2001-05) were FWTs only. Thats because, in 2001, ours was the only UG wing in Tapti (rest were all PGs) and that led to a strong bond between all junta in the wing.

All the best to Gangaites for more FWTs in the future!! And also hope that other hostelites catch the fire too.. :-)

Rakesh Misra said...

@ Gudman: Well yes, that's true; I value relationships more than anything else!

Feels nice to know that you have been following my blog so closely. Thanks a lot for that!

@ Kushal: Oh! Only UG wing in Tapti then! That was quite a trivia-fact! :)

Thanks for spending time on my blog!

Rahul "Hippo" said...

Thanks buddy for finally putting one on our wing :)
A great outing! Finally,our wing went somewhere and all together.. and great( I know I am being repetitive) pics; though some more pics of mine could have done :P
Mishra, you rock!!
Kudos to one more year together(all thanks to me :P )

Aashish said...

Naiice!

Rakesh Misra said...

@ Hippo: Ya right, I should have put more pics featuring you; SIX pics of you in a single article isn't enough at all, I know! :P

You deserve all credit for keeping us all together for one more year. Congrats and thanks!

@ Aashish: :)

Rakesh Misra said...

I just noticed that my blog has crossed 1000 visits. It's less than 6 months since I posted my first article and 1000 visits already! Wow! :)

By the way, I have seen many who are not clear about the differences between hits, visits, visitors and page-views, as far as website-statistics-jargon is concerned. This page might be useful.

sri said...

its the best treat i have ever been too.. surely we have should more of FWTs..

Rakesh Misra said...

@ Sri: Yes, it was my best and biggest ever treat as well! :)

Abhishek Behera said...

you gave me goose-bumps! serious-good... Now I will try cajoling our junta for FWTs... yes thats called "setting-trends" :)
(lolz - for anagram ppl. FWT sounds interesting :P )

and the pics are Great! Thanks for putting this idea on blog.

p.s.: info about the hits/visits/views was nice.

Rakesh Misra said...

@ Abhishek: It's amazing how anagram-people find interesting anagrams out of everything. Someone once told me that an anagram of my name is "A Harm Kisser"! [Anagram]FWT[/Anagram]!

You should definitely have FWTs in your wing; it'll be a heavenly experience!

Anuj Choudhary said...

Nice article yaar.... just one request... keep the enthu flowing... and we love u all

Rakesh Misra said...

@ Anuj: Ya, definitely. Feels so nice! :)

bhale said...

lovely post once again. One of our earliest wing treats was at Rangoli, and the photographs too me back in time. But really 27 is a huge number to control, and kudos to your managerial skills. Keep inviting pseudo gangaites to parties (we were shooting the wing video of one of my friends from Alak for their hostel night tomorrow as I you sent me the link). Most of all, relive these moments by repeating such outings in your final year.

Rakesh Misra said...

@ Bhale: Such outings are going to repeat several times in future; we seriously loved it the first time!

Anonymous said...

wow.....the way you just descibed it out there made me feel like I was on the trip:)...btw....the food looks delicious:d.....yum.....keep posting:)

Shankar Ganesh said...

Pretty good one dude... Found out two things
(1) FWTs are stud ideas...
(2)A good place for food... :)
But seriously I like the way you enjoy every moment in life and value people/relationships and this article(and the two others) bring it out quite well... As they say you Live Life to its fullest:D

Sathish said...

I wish I had FWTs here @ Jam... I can sure see you starting a trend! And the food looks delicious!

Rakesh Misra said...

@ Anirudh: The food actually tasted delicious! :)

@ Shankar: Someone's slam book had a question, "According to you, what is the perfect formula for life?" I had written, "Life = Loads of fun + Tinge of seriousness". That's how I try to live my life!

Rakesh Misra said...

@ Sathish: Hopefully so! And the food... :) :)

Rahul said...

Great article and great pics man. One real article which actually isn't TTTNR :)

And btw, i think its better people start addressing me "Rahul" - Surbhi actually thought my name was Rahul'e' !

Rahul said...

read the other articles too... some entries are actually good man!

Rakesh Misra said...

What's there in the name, Rahule?

Btw, which are the other articles that you found 'actually good'? :)

ksk_blog said...

Have fun. Probably something that we need to do in PG hostels - actually I don't even know some of the people in my wing!!!